Sunday, June 1, 2008

TRAINING AND EXPLORING PANAMA CITY

I’m already 7 weeks into training now! I can hardly believe it. I think my Spanish IS improving (even though at times I may get really frustrated and often think otherwise). Aside from language, our tech classes have been really interesting. We’ve had mainly theory-based lessons; topics have included community analysis, project design, building leaders and community empowerment. Above all, what’s been incredibly helpful is having current PCVs assist in our tech classes. Hearing about their experiences and projects, including both their successes and blunders, is really insightful. Their stories really help to bring reality to the information we’ve learning.

Below are some pictures from a Community Analysis presentation that we gave last week, as part of our tech class.


In the past few weeks, I've just begun Embera lessons, which is the native language of the indigenous group I'll be working with. I'm finding it rather difficult so far...but I've still got 2+ years to work on it.

Oh! In and out of training, this past weekend I had some free time to explore Panama City! What a beautiful city! Myself, another PCV Jessica, and her host sister Iris, spent the entire day making the tourist rounds. On the way there, went to Miraflores Locks, where we watched ships come in from the Pacific and begin to pass through the Canal. It was really neat! The rest of the day we spent touring Panama City, both the old and new. There is so much new construction going on in Panama City right now- apartments, businesses- it’s incredible. The older part of the city, historic Casco Viejo, is also being restored. Panama City is already gorgeous, and with so much changing so fast, I’m really excited to watch it evolve the next couple of years.

Below are some pictures from the day: At the Miraflores Lochs, checking out the views from some Panama City rooftops, and touring historic Casco Viejo...




Will try to get the pictures from Culture and Tech weeks up real soon!

No comments: