Sunday, June 1, 2008

SITE ANNOUNCEMENT!

SO I’M MOVING TO THE JUNGLE! Yes, indeedy. I’ve been placed in an indigenous Embera community near the Rio Chagres. I’ll be about 2-3 hours from Panama City. My project description is to help the community develop a feasible, sustainable tourism plan. I’ve been told my work could include any of the following: developing products/services for tourists, advertising, budgeting/ accounting, coordinating with tour operators, and even teaching community members English for interactions with tourists.

Admittedly, when Pablo, the TEA director, first asked me how I felt about moving to the jungle, I had HUGE reservations. Canoe rides, big trees- CLAUSTROPHIA. I expressed these fears to Pablo and he was really understanding. He even gave me some other site options. But work-wise, he really thought this would be a great fit for me. He continued to express how fantastic this community is and how much potential it has. With these thoughts, and a weekend for reflection, I came to the conclusion that work and community is most important to me in an assignment. And that means I’ll just have to really work through some of these silly fears and hang ups I have. So, deep breath. I will grab that machete, and get in line to help build my hut (seriously, my community will help me build a hut for a solid $250). And I will not think about crocodiles or snakes on that canoe ride in.

So now that I know my site, I’m really excited for next week- Culture Week! I will spend an entire week at an Embera community, immersed in Embera language and culture. The following week is our Tourism Tech Week, at Isla Canas in the Pacific Ocean. More will come!

No comments: